Recipe by Joy1996
Here's one more recipe to help you use up that excess of zucchini from your garden! May be served chilled, too.
Top Review by blue28now
Try adding some frozen or canned corn to the recipe. For a little more zip, a couple of handfulls of shredded hot pepper cheese makes a graceful transition from summer to fall.
- 4 -5 medium zucchini, skin on and cubed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 large white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup Italian parsley or 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth or 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the cubed zucchini into a large saucepan over medium heat, cover with water, and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer about 15 minutes, or until soft; remove pan from heat.
- Allow zucchini to cool in the saucepan in the cooking water.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat; add the onion and garlic, cover and cook for 2 minutes or so (until soft but not brown).
- Remove the lid, stir in the parsley/cilantro, cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the onion mix to a blender or food processor.
- Add the zucchini, 1/2 to 1 cup of the cooking water, and salt to the blender and puree.
- Pour the contents of the blender into a large saucepan and heat over medium heat.
- Add the chicken/vegetable broth and bring to a low simmer.
- Slowly stir in the evaporated milk.
- Season with salt and heat through.