Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A soup made of pureed veggies, that turns into a creamy delight.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 6 medium zucchini, sliced (1 1/2 lbs)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup half and half cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground red pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese (to garnish)
- Saute onion in butter in a large saucepan until tender. Add the zucchini and broth; stir well. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until the zucchini is tender.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the zucchini/onion mix, or place in a blender.
- Return the pureed mixture to the saucepan. Stir in half and half and seasonings. Cook zucchini mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thoroughly heated. Ladle soup into individual soup bowls. Sprinkle evenly with shredded Cheddar cheese.
Wonderful soup - so delicious and creamy! Very easy to make and if you have an immersion blender, you can complete everything in the same pot. I had a big batch of zucchini to use up and this was perfect -- love the simple seasonings that enhance, but do not cover up the flavor of the zucchini. Made for Everyday is a Holiday tag, January, 2012.
I made half the recipe cause I didn't have enough zucchini. We loved this soup. It was gone in no time. My son raved about it. The next day he asked for a bowl of this soup. And there was none left. I promised him I'll do another bach (a whole batch) next weekend. A few months ago, he didn't like anything with zucchini and now he likes zucchini soup, zucchini muffins... Thanks Lynette :) Made for Photo tag game