Creamy tasting soup that is sure to please. You can use half an half instead of heavy whipping cream if desired. People have different tastes so spice it up if you want. This is just a basic recipe. I usually add some shakes of hot sauce to the soup. You can also omit the sherry if you like. I have added cooked chicken and that was good also. You can change it up as I have said its just a basic recipe. Hope you enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon onion, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth (or 6 bouillon cubes with 4 cups of water.)
- 1/3 cup carrot, grated on large size of grater
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning (luzinanne brand is what I use)
- 2 teaspoons dry sherry (optional)
- chopped chives (to garnish)
- salt and pepper
- 1Bring water to a boil, stir in rice, reduce heat and simmer covered for 45 minutes. (just until the kernals puff open.) Uncover and fluff with a fork. Drain any liquid that may be left. Set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, during the cooking of the rice:.
- 3Bring the chicken broth to a low simmer and keep warm.
- 4In a separate large saucepan, melt butter and add onions. Saute onions until tender. Add flour gradually to the butter and onions and stir constantly with a whisk. Slowly add in the warmed chicken broth while continuing to whisk. (mixture will thicken.
- 5Stir in the cooked wild rice and carrots. Simmer 5 minutes.
- 6Blend in the cream and sherry. Heat all to a serving temperature and garnish with chopped chives.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream of Wild Rice Soup
Serving Size: 1 (390 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 402.5
- Calories from Fat 308
- Total Fat 34.3 g
- Saturated Fat 20.9 g
- Cholesterol 118.8 mg
- Sodium 573.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 7.4 g