Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My sister fixed this for my and husband and I and we loved it. The recipe came from Voyageur's wild rice. What I like about this soup is that it doesn't have alot of spices in it where you can't taste the vegetables and ham. I put the vegetables in my food processor which saves alot of time. This recipe makes alot of soup. I cut the recipe in half when I make it. This is an easy and delicious soup for on a cold winters day. A nice loaf of bread and you've got a great lunch!
- Prepare the wild rice according to package instructions. In a large soup kettle, saute the onion, carrots, celery and ham in the butter for about 3 minutes or until the vegetables have softened slightly.
- Sift in the flour, a little at a time, stirring and cooking until the flour is blended in well, but do not let it brown.
- Slowly add the chicken broth, stirring until all the flour-butter-vegetable mixture is blended well.
- Add the wild rice.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat thoroughly.
- Add the cream and reheat gently but DONOT boil.
This is the ONLY Cream of Wild Rice Soup recipe for our family! Only changes that we make: we substitute chicken for the ham and add one (1) can cream of chicken or mushroom soup. It adds to the density of the soup.