White asparagus is more mild and less fibrous than the green. It is white because it hasn't been exposed to light.
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic in butter for 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add chicken stock, asparagus tips and stems, potato, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until vegetables are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Remove asparagus tips and set aside.
- Allow soup to cool, then put in blender and blend till smooth.
- Return soup to saucepan, add reserved asparagus tips and cream and heat thoroughly.
This is excellent! It has a lovely delicate flavor. My asparagus took a bit longer to cook, but it was worth the wait! I made this as written and wouldn't change a thing. Thanx!
I have tried white asparagus soup quite a few times. This works well. I came out a little heavy on the time, but the soup was excellent.
Nice recipe, my husband is German and they only have white asparagus over there. Too bad it is hard to find. He thought it was very good. It was a bit hard to find the tips in the potatoes but an all around easy recipe.