White asparagus is more mild and less fibrous than the green. It is white because it hasn't been exposed to light.
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic in butter for 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add chicken stock, asparagus tips and stems, potato, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until vegetables are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Remove asparagus tips and set aside.
- Allow soup to cool, then put in blender and blend till smooth.
- Return soup to saucepan, add reserved asparagus tips and cream and heat thoroughly.