Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe was adopted Sept 15, 2002.
Make and share this Cream of Wheat Dumplings recipe from Food.com.
- Large pot of boiled salt water (let simmer).
- Heat ½ liter water with salt and butter added to boiling.
- When it reaches the boil, add all of the cream of wheat at once.
- Stir continually till it bubbles (2- 3 minutes).
- Remove from heat& let cool, stirring often.
- In a large bowl, add 1 egg at a time to cream of wheat mixture and mix well.
- Add 1 Tbs flour and mix well.
- Put a tablespoon in boiling salt water before making each dumpling (to avoid sticking).
- Shape each dumpling into egg shape and place in simmering salt water.
- Make 30- 40 at a time.
- Let simmer approximately 20 minutes.
- When dumplings rise to top of water, remove& set aside.
- Make next batch.
I was trying to replicate some Cream of Wheat "pearl noodles" that were made at a local Hungarian Restaurant. These were not it. The amount of egg makes these very jelly-like and not firm (comparable to scrambled egg feel). I found the directions a bit unclear, but tried my best to do what it called for. If it's a super soft/jelly like dumpling that you're looking for, this is for you. If it was a firm, tapioca-like textured dumpling, then keep searching.
I make this a little different but these dumpling are a favorite at my house . The kids love them with fruit or syrup. We also eat them with cinnamon, sugar and butter mixture.HMMMMM