Strange as it may sound, this cake tastes wonderful. I fell in love with a cake called basbousa while staying in Jordan, and couldn't find semolina anywhere here back home in the states, so I made up my own version using cream of wheat, when I remembered having cooked semolina the same as I did cream of wheat back home. Jordanians don't have cream of wheat. Funny how we miss things only when we don't have them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups cream of wheat, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt (not low fat, use regular or it'll be too moist)
- blanched split almonds (garnish)
- 1Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla extract together in a medium bowl until light and fluffy.
- 2Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 3Sift the cream of wheat with the baking powder and baking soda two times, then fold into the butter mix alternately with the yogurt.
- 4Grease a 8x12 inch pan and fold the batter into it evenly.
- 5Arrange the almonds along the top so that each half will be in the center of a piece when it's cut, you should have about 4 almonds across and 7 almonds down.
- 6Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees about 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 7Meanwhile, make the syrup by dissolving the sugar into the water in a small heavy saucepan over high heat until it begins to boil.
- 8Add the lemon juice.
- 9Turn the heat down to med-high, and boil rapidly about 10 minutes, then cool by standing the pan in a larger pan of cold water.
- 10When the cake is cooled, cut as desired.
- 11We usually make diamond shapes or squares, and serve by spooning the syrup over the cake.
- 12If desired, thick whipped cream can be served over top instead, or a bit of honey syrup.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for cream of wheat cake
Serving Size: 1 (60 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 28
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 160.7
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 24.6 mg
- Sodium 67.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 20.0 g
- Protein 2.0 g