Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I used to work in a brunch restaurant and when this soup was served, it always sold out very quickly. It is light and refreshing and perfect at a baby or bridal shower or even a ladies' luncheon. The restaurant owner shared the recipe with me, but I lost it without ever having made it. After much experimentation, I finally came up with a version that I liked and have been making it now for several years when fresh watermelon is in season. It isn't quite the same, but I still liked it enough to share. I like to serve with this chicken salad sandwiches. Cook time is for chilling overnight. Makes one blender full of soup.
- 2 pints watermelon, chunks seeded
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 cup granulated sugar, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt (about 3 large ordinary soup spoons) or 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream (about 3 large ordinary soup spoons) or 1⁄2 cup regular sour cream, approximately (about 3 large ordinary soup spoons)
- fresh mint leaves, garnish (optional)
- Puree watermelon chunks in blender until smooth.
- Add vanilla, sugar, and using an ordinary flatware soup spoon, add 3 dollops of sour cream (about 1/2 cup total), blending well.
- Taste and add a little more sugar if needed- if you added too much sour cream, you may need a little more watermelon.
- Chill overnight and serve garnished with a couple of mint leaves atop each bowl.