Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
An easy tasty soup which makes good use of your food processor. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (January 1985)
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 1⁄4 cups chicken broth (or stock)
- 1 cup spinach leaves, with stems
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into lengths that will fit the feed tube of your food processor
- 1 potato, peeled and cut into pieces small enough to fit the feed tube
- 1 zucchini, trimmed and cut into pieces small enough to fit feed tube
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup ham (or use smoked sausge - or for a no-meat supper skip the meat)
- 8 mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- Using the steel knife of your food processor mince parsnips, onion and garlic. Transfer vegetables to a large soup pot or sauce pan along with two cups of chicken broth. Cover pot and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Let soup cool a few minutes and then using the steel knife in your food processor puree soup (about 1 minute). Add spinach and process for 20 seconds. Return all to soup pot along with remaining broth (2 1/4 cups).
- Using the slicer in your food processor slice carrots and add to soup pot. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Using the slicer in your food processor slice potato and add to soup and simmer an additional 20 minutes.
- Slice zucchini using the same slicing disc and add to soup, simmering another 2 minutes. Stir in cream and ham or sausage (if using) and heat through. Stir in tarragon, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
This was a good soup but I do prefer my uncreamed vegetable soup. We do not care for mushrooms so I did leave those out and did not add any meat.