Recipe by MRS Montgomery
A very rich, creamy soup. Chicken can be used instead of the Pheasant/
Top Review by Katlady1us
This is a wonderful recipe. It has become a widely requested recipe at my husbands fishing/hunting events. We always make a huge batch and freeze (without adding the rice). TY TY TY!!
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, shredded
- 1⁄2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 (4 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms, drained, reserve liquid
- 9 slices bacon, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked pheasant breast, chopped (or Chicken)
- 1 pint half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
Directions See How It's Made
- While cooking rice, brown bacon pieces in a dutch oven or large pot.
- Take out bacon pieces once browned and save for later.
- Add butter to bacon drippings. Saute' celery, onion, carrots, green pepper and mushrooms until vegetables are tender.
- Add flour, salt and pepper. Stir over heat until flour is of a pasty to bubbly consistency.
- Add chicken broth and reserved mushroom liquid. Stir and cook until thickened(10 - 15 minutes).
- Add bacon pieces, wild rice, half and half and parsley. Simmer about 15 minutes. Do not boil.