Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
A very rich, creamy soup. Chicken can be used instead of the Pheasant/
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, shredded
- 1⁄2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 (4 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms, drained, reserve liquid
- 9 slices bacon, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked pheasant breast, chopped (or Chicken)
- 1 pint half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- While cooking rice, brown bacon pieces in a dutch oven or large pot.
- Take out bacon pieces once browned and save for later.
- Add butter to bacon drippings. Saute' celery, onion, carrots, green pepper and mushrooms until vegetables are tender.
- Add flour, salt and pepper. Stir over heat until flour is of a pasty to bubbly consistency.
- Add chicken broth and reserved mushroom liquid. Stir and cook until thickened(10 - 15 minutes).
- Add bacon pieces, wild rice, half and half and parsley. Simmer about 15 minutes. Do not boil.
This is a wonderful recipe. It has become a widely requested recipe at my husbands fishing/hunting events. We always make a huge batch and freeze (without adding the rice). TY TY TY!!
This was awesome! Made some changes to suit what I had on hand. Sauteed carrots, red pepper, onions and mushrooms in saucepan. Added the flour, transferred mixture to Wok (didn't have dutch oven), and followed remaining directions. Will definitely make again!
This was great!