Recipe by BarbryT
Much lighter than regular potato leek soup. If you want to be elegant, swirl a teaspoon of heavy cream into each bowl and sprinkle with snipped chives. Good hot or cold.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 8 cups thinly sliced leeks (tender parts)
- 1 lb turnip, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch chunks
- 1 lb potato, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch chunks
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk or 1 1⁄2 cups light cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter over medium heat and add the vegetables; stir to coat.
- Reduce heat to very low, cover and cook the veggies, stirring occasionally, for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Add chicken broth. Increase heat to medium, cover and simmer 45 minutes, until veggies are utterly tender.
- In batches, puree soup in blender or food processor.
- Return soup to pot; add 1 to 1 and ½ C milk or light cream, thinning to desired consistency.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.