Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Much lighter than regular potato leek soup. If you want to be elegant, swirl a teaspoon of heavy cream into each bowl and sprinkle with snipped chives. Good hot or cold.
- Melt butter over medium heat and add the vegetables; stir to coat.
- Reduce heat to very low, cover and cook the veggies, stirring occasionally, for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Add chicken broth. Increase heat to medium, cover and simmer 45 minutes, until veggies are utterly tender.
- In batches, puree soup in blender or food processor.
- Return soup to pot; add 1 to 1 and ½ C milk or light cream, thinning to desired consistency.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
I reduced the numbers and made a 2 serve. Worked out really well. Also we only had sour cream so used that instead. Lovely. Thankyou.
So easy.......... I made the whole quantity, since the youngsters were home, and even so, only had a very little left for DHs lunch today! I used full-cream milk, and we enjoyed a rich, creamy, thoroughly satisfying soup, that mostly cooked itself while I got on with other things, what a pleasure! I served with a fresh olive ciabatta bread, thank you for a marvellous supper, BarbryT!
This is an 8 star soup according to Chris! We loved it and the quantities in the recipe made enough to freeze another two servings each. A very satisfying, smooth and filling soup - particularly when enhanced with a garnish of snipped shallots and a swirl of the light cream BarbryT recommends in the recipe. Thanks for posting BarbryT.