Much lighter than regular potato leek soup. If you want to be elegant, swirl a teaspoon of heavy cream into each bowl and sprinkle with snipped chives. Good hot or cold.
- Melt butter over medium heat and add the vegetables; stir to coat.
- Reduce heat to very low, cover and cook the veggies, stirring occasionally, for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Add chicken broth. Increase heat to medium, cover and simmer 45 minutes, until veggies are utterly tender.
- In batches, puree soup in blender or food processor.
- Return soup to pot; add 1 to 1 and ½ C milk or light cream, thinning to desired consistency.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
I reduced the numbers and made a 2 serve. Worked out really well. Also we only had sour cream so used that instead. Lovely. Thankyou.
I really liked the flavor. The turnip definitely adds something. However it wasn't really robust enough to have alone for dinner, it would have been good with sandwiches/panini.
With your Hungarian Cauliflower Soup being such a winner at our house I was sure this one would be another to go into our 'Soup Favorites' We love the ingredients listed but combined in the soup they just didn't work for us. Your method is one I really like - plan on making this without the turnips, add flour to the vegetables just before adding the chicken broth. Should make for an awesome Potato and Leek Soup. For anyone not having a scale handy the pound of potatoes just a touch more than 3 cups cubed. Made for the Auz/NZ Swap.