Recipe by buzzsau
This is a perfect soup to chase away those midwinter blahs. It is very quick and easy to put together. It is one of my favorite soups and the original recipe comes from 365 Ways to Cook Pasta by Marie Simmons. If you can't find acini di pepe pasta, you can use any solid tiny pasta shape.
Top Review by nott
This is a quick and easy recipe that I enjoyed very much. As the weather starts to cool I start to crave soup, and this one is quick for after work. I only had 28 oz of tomatoes, so I added a 6 oz can of tomato paste to "up" the tomatoes. I also used milk instead of the cream for diet reasons. I will definitely make this again! Thank you for posting it.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 35 ounces Italian-style tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup acini di pepe pasta, cooked (about 1/3 cup raw)
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and carrot; saute until tender about 5 minutes. Set a food mill over the saucepan and puree the tomatoes. (I just usually put in blender or food processor and puree). Add the chicken broth. Heat to simmering.
- Heat the cream in a small saucepan until simmering; gradually whisk into the tomato mixture; DO NOT BOIL.
- Add the acini di pepe and heat through. Add salt to taste.
- Sprinkle each serving with plenty of black pepper.