Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
An old fashioned soup, not lacking in taste!! Cook time is approximate.
- 6 fresh tomatoes, stewed in 3 cups water or 1 can tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda, dissolve in
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- 2 cups milk
- Put the tomatoes in the water and stew together with the onion, bayleaf and parsley.
- If you are using canned tomatoes, simmer these with the same ingredients until onion is tender.
- When tomatoes are tender, rub them through a seive.
- In a sauce pan, melt butter and blend in flour.
- Cook until smooth about 1 minute.
- Add the hot tomato juice and pulp and stir until just boiling.
- Season with salt and pepper, cook for 5 minutes longer.
- Add soda.
- Scald the milk and just before serving add to the tomato mixture.