Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
I clipped this out of a magazine a few years ago and just whipped it up for my sick daughter. It is so good!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped shallots or 1⁄2 cup onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups crushed canned tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- Heat 1 tbsp butter and olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and saute until soft, approx 3 minute Add broth and tomatoes, bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer uncoverd for 25 min or until mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat. Process in 2 batches in a blender until smooth. Return to pot and heat over med heat until soup is warmed thoroughly.Stir in half and half and 1 Tbsp of butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve topped with parsley and toasted saltines.
So easy and so good! Perfect blend of flavors. Beats the heck out of that Campbell's stuff. I added some chopped chives and shredded Parmesan as a garnish. Made for Spring 2013 PAC.
A nice tomato soup that is very simple to prepare. I prefer a creamier soup so I would add more cream to this but that is a personal taste. I noticed that the cream did not curdle when I added it so I am wondering if the addition of the butter at the end helps to prevent curdling. I was very pleased by that anyways. Made for Spring PAC 2013. Thank you for the recipe.