Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This Pre-1940's recipe included in my “Grandma’s Wartime Edition Cookbook”
Make and share this Cream of Tomato Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Stew tomatoes and sugar and strain.
- Add baking soda and seasoning.
- Scald milk in double broiler with sliced onion.
- Add flour and well blended with butter, cook throughly.
- Remove onion from milk.
- Combine mixtures adding tomato to milk slowly.
- Serve at once in a hot dish.
I was intrigued by how the onions steamed in the milk for this recipe as I've tried several other tomato soups and they've been overwhelmed by onion flavor - not my favorite. I used canned tomatoes and pureed them with a hand blender. - other than that I followed the recipe. It had a nice mouth feel and a rich taste - but was too peppery yet at the same time quite bland. It tastes like a base just waiting for the other flavors. I have some leftover and I think I will saute a little garlic and add some basil.