Recipe by alleycatb
I could not believe this is not already up here at Zaar not to worry I can share This is one terrific basic comfort soup. Best I have ever tasted
Top Review by Jeffsmom
Wasen't too sure about making and baking the white sauce; quite unusual. The only problem I really had with it was that the white sauce turned the tomato puree into a thicker sauce instead of soup. I added maybe 3/4-1 cup of skim milk until it reached a soupy consistency. Served it with parmesan croutons, and even my 5-year-old ate it. Also loved the amount of brown sugar in it; thought it would be too much but it was just right.
- 2 cups tomatoes, skinned and cut up
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 small onion, with
- 3 -4 cloves, stuck in it
- 1⁄2 small bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- grating nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan stew the first 5 ingreients up until sugar.
- stew for at least 15 Minutes.
- blend until smooth and return to pot and simmer.
- in a separate oven proof pot prepare white sauce
- melt butter over medium heat and add flour cook for about 2 minutes and gradually whisk in milk.
- Add onion and spices
- whisk until the mixture thickens about 10 minutes.
- place in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes
- add to tomatoe mixture and stir.
- serve with croutons and a dollop of sour cream and chopped chives sprinkle with a little paprika for decoration.