Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Just a touch of cream, milk, fresh tomatoes make up this tasty soup.
- 6 medium tomatoes, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup tomato juice
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- Place all ingredients except milk, cream, butter and flour into a large pot. Bring to boil, then simmer for 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf, puree soup mix in blender and return to pot.
- Heat butter in skillet. Slowly stir in flour, then stir in milk and continue stirring until it begins to boil. Lower heat and cook until thickened. Stir this mixture into soup. Add cream just before serving. Top each serving with freshly creamed butter and dill weed garnish. Makes 6 servings.
- All About Tomatoes.
This soup is delicious! I didn't have any tomato juice, so I used chicken stock instead, also, I left out the cream. I will definitly make it again! Thanks!