Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
If you are a garlic lover, you might want to consider adding in about 1-2 tablespoons (or to taste) fresh chopped garlic to the tomato mixture. If possible, try to purchase only the spicy Clamato juice for this. The tomato mixture can be made even a day ahead (in fact it is even better if prepared ahead of time) pureed and left in the refrigerator until ready to use, just heat in the microwave before adding to the flour mixture. This is one of the best recipes for homemade tomato soup, so I really advise to double the recipe, you won't be able to stop eating this, it is that good! Serve with crusty bread rolls.
- 2 (19 ounce) cans tomatoes, slightly drained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- fresh garlic (optional)
- 1 (10 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup spicy clamato juice (try to use only the spicy flavor)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream (or use 4 cups half and half cream)
- 1 cup Cheese Whiz
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large pot simmer the tomatoes, onion, celery, broth, Clamato juice and dill until veggies are tender (about 20 minutes).
- Puree in a blender to a smooth consistency.
- In a Dutch oven or medium-size pot, melt butter, then whisk in flour to make a paste.
- Add in pepper to taste.
- Add in milk and half and half cream slowly; whisk to make a thick white paste.
- Stir in the tomato soup mixture and Cheese Whiz; stir until thick and hot.
- Season with salt and more pepper if desired to taste.
- Ladle into serving bowls.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
Yummy!!!! Easy!!! In my house, garlic is mandatory but Cheese Whiz is not allowed. I used 1% milk for dietary reasons & I don't think the quality was affected. I garnished the dish with a dollop of low fat yogurt. Since regular Motts was all I had, I added a tbsp of Worstershire & a tsp of lemon juice. Thanx Carol - another winner!!