Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a quick recipe that is great served with a green salad and French bread with garlic butter....excellent! I add more garlic than the recipe calls for and it just gets better!
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
- 1 soup can water
- 1 (28 ounce) chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry basil
- salt & pepper
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- Heat oil in heavy saucepan. Add shallots and garlic and sauté over med-low heat 2-3 minutes -- be careful not to burn garlic.
- Stir in broth, water, tomatoes and basil (if using fresh basil you will add it later). Add salt and pepper.
- Heat cream till just warm (either on stove top in a separate sauce pan or in microwave) then stir into tomato mixture. Bring just to a boil; immediately reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. If using fresh basil, stir in at this point.
- Do not allow soup to boil.
- Serve immediately.
- **Note** We like a smoother soup so I usually send the canned tomatoes through the blender or food processor before adding them to the mixture.
While good, we found this to be on the bland side - more garlic! To bring up the taste, I added celery seed and tomato paste plus 3 basil balls. This was good, but not spectacular. Good with toasted cheese on a roll.
This recipe was very quick and easy to make. Although it tasted great as is and on special occasions I would make it this way - for a weekly soup I might lighten the recipe up with a light cream or 2% instead of the heavy cream and then to make the soup a little thicker reduce the can of water by half and reduce the 3/4 cup to 1/2 cup of milk. But your right "PattySparx" the more garlic the better. I minced in 3 cloves and then served the soup with a garlic butter bagette. Thanks for sharing.