Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another great-looking sweet potato recipe from the Chicago Tribune, this one comes from Massimo Salatino, corporate chef for Francesca Restaurants.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 medium leek
- 3 peeled and chopped sweet potatoes (about 8-oz. each.)
- 3 peeled and chopped carrots
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth (or equivalent amount your homemade)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- chopped fresh chives
- Combine oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; add garlic and leeks; cook, stirring frequently, until they release their flavors, about 5 minutes; add sweet potatoes, carrots, broth, cumin and cinnamon; heat to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer; cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Puree until smooth in a blender or food processor; return soup to saucepan.
- Stir in cream, salt and pepper to taste; garnish with chives and croutons.
Hey Jude, this is DELIGHTFUL! I had several cups of sweet potatoes leftover from Crock Pot Sweet Potatoes & Cranberries With Toasted Pecans and they were already seasoned. I followed your recipe & added all the ingredients except the cinnamon. I also subbed a yellow onion for the leek. This is amazing! I'll serve it up with some leftover Christmas ham and we're good to go! Thanks you for truly delicious soup Jude! YUM!
Lovely soup! It was very easy to make especially I was using a pressure cooker. Thanks.
Served this for 14 people at Thanksgiving & it was wonderful! Everyone really liked it. Easy to make, travelled well in the car, reheated well & was tasty ... what more could you want?!