Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Delicious use of sweet potatoes
- 4 lbs sweet potatoes (about 4 large)
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups white wine
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup milk or 1⁄4 cup cream
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 dash thyme
- 1 cup cashews, split in half
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake the sweet potatoes for 45 minutes or until they are soft. Cool the potatoes until they can be handled.
- Peel away the skin, then put the potatoes into a large bowl.
- Mash the potatoes for 15-20 seconds or put through ricer until smooth.
- Spoon the mashed sweet potato into a large saucepan over medium/high heat, add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- When the soup begins to boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 50-60 minutes.
- Cashews should be soft.