Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The basis of any good soup is in the stock that makes it. However, there are constraints in the current kitchen at the café and so, some recipes have to be modified to make things easier to prepare.
- Melt butter in the saucepan, add onion and sauté gently for 10mins, until soft, but not coloured.
- Add the spinach to the onion, cover with a lid and cook gently for 4 minutes.
- Add flour and stir gently for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and gently stir in stock and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly then simmer for 3 minutes Season to taste.
- Puree soup in a blender or food processor till smooth and return to pot. Bring it to a boil again. Taste and add seasoning as desired.
- Serve hot.
- Bacon: chop up 250g of bacon and fry in a non-stick pan without oil till crisp. Remove bacon bits from pan and drain on paper towels. Reserve oil and add into the soup for added smokey flavour.
Delicious and nutritious, if a bit heavy on the calories! I used half butter, half Smart Balance. I couldn't resist topping it with grated cheddar cheese as well as the bacon. Next time I'll try thickening it with instant potato flakes instead of flour, since a half cup is kind of a lot to use, but it still came out great.