Recipe by Tish
Thickened with a mix of cooked oats and vegies, this soup has all the flavor of the original with a fraction of the fat stuff. Low in cholestorol too!
Top Review by Gina Wilkerson
I don't think there was enough flavor in this soup. I sprinkled it with soy parmesan cheese and that really helped. I will try it again with a stronger vegetarian broth and maybe would not blend it next time because it is not appealling looking when it is blended.
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup scallion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 4 cups of very garlicky broth (posted separately, or other garlic broth)
- 1⁄3 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 3 qt saucepan over medium high heat, saute the onions and scallions in the apple juice and oil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the spinach, parsley and celery.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally Add the broth, oats, salt, thyme and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium.
- cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Let the soup cool for 10 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree in a blender until thick and smooth.
- Return to the pot.
- Reheat and serve.