Recipe by sugarpea
Wonderful comfort food from Rozanne Gold, a favorite cookbook author. This is a creamless creamed soup and it's delicious. It's made thick with potatoes and rich with butter. The color of this soup is stunning.
Top Review by duonyte
A very green soup. I felt it needed a little something, so I added some chopped onions to the potatoes, which I liked a lot. This was more like three servings for me, but I admit that we like big servings of soup. I this will also work well with frozen spinach - might be its best use! Thanks for posting.
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces boiling potatoes
- 8 ounces fresh spinach leaves, stems removed
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- garnish of freshly grated nutmeg or shaved parmigiano-reggiano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water and salt to a boil; cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, and then into 1/2" thick slices; boil over medium-high heat for twenty minutes.
- Add the spinach and boil another 10 minutes being careful to not overcook in order to maintain it's bright green color.
- Drain, reserving 1 1/4 cups cooking liquid; in a food processor, process the potatoes and spinach until very smooth, adding the butter 1/2 T at a time.
- Return the puree to the pot and add the reserved liquid until the desired consistency; reheat slowly and season with salt and pepper; ladle into shallow soup plates and garnish with nutmeg or shaved cheese.