From my "Heart Healthy Cookbook" of delicious healthy recipes from Edina, MN in 1995. Make 9, 10 ounce cans of soup. This is much less expensive and contains far less sodium than canned soups. Add sautéed chopped mushrooms, chopped celery, or bits of cooked chicken to resemble the cream soup you usually use.
- 2 cups instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 3⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup wyler's very low-sodium instant vegetable bouillon granules or 1⁄4 cup wyler's very low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules or 1⁄4 cup wyler's very low-sodium beef bouillon cube
- 5 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl and store in an air-tight container.
- To substitute one 10 3/4 ounce can of cream soup, use 1/3 cup mix plus 1 1/4 cups water.
- Combine in a medium saucepan and cook until thick.
This is a terrific and easy sub. I keep a bag of this in my pantry now. I usually don't even bother to add the mushrroms or celery or chicken.....or whatever was supposed to be in my "cream of ...." . Every recipe I have made with it has been great and I am very happy to do without all of the sodium.
I found this quite some while back and I really wanted to comment. So many recipe's ask for creamed soups and they're expensive and just too milky/fatty for my taste. I did this with the dry milk and it was EXCELLENT. I've also used soy, not quite as good, but passable. However, as a basic cream soup sub. this is well over 5 stars. I've used a variety of bouillons as well as changing or adding herbs depending on recipe and this just gets better each time. Thank you ever so much. I cannot imagine why anyone would use the canned cream soups; they should give this a try.
This was great!! In a recipe I wouldn't have know that it was not the real deal if I hadn't of made it myself. I sauteed some diced up mushrooms in butter flavored PAM and added them for 'Cream Of Mushroom Soup'. Thanks for sharing...this one is a keeper!