From my "Heart Healthy Cookbook" of delicious healthy recipes from Edina, MN in 1995. Make 9, 10 ounce cans of soup. This is much less expensive and contains far less sodium than canned soups. Add sautéed chopped mushrooms, chopped celery, or bits of cooked chicken to resemble the cream soup you usually use.
- 2 cups instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 3⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup wyler's very low-sodium instant vegetable bouillon granules or 1⁄4 cup wyler's very low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules or 1⁄4 cup wyler's very low-sodium beef bouillon cube
- 5 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl and store in an air-tight container.
- To substitute one 10 3/4 ounce can of cream soup, use 1/3 cup mix plus 1 1/4 cups water.
- Combine in a medium saucepan and cook until thick.