Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 mins
How to make your own Cream of whatever soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onions (optional) or 1⁄4 cup celery (optional) or 1⁄4 cup mushroom (optional)
- In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter. Sprinkle the flour over it and stir to incorporate. Cook over medium low heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly whisk in the milk.
- Cream of chicken.
- If you want to make a cream of chicken flavored sauce, use half broth and half milk. If you have troubles getting this to be smooth, try heating the milk or broth before adding to the flour and butter. Bring to a simmer and cook over low heat, barely simmering, for a few minutes until thick.
- Cream of celery or mushroom.
- To make a cream of something, saute 1/4 cup or so finely chopped celery, mushrooms, or onion in the butter before adding the flour and use half broth and half milk.