Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is posted by request and is from Williams-Sonoma.
Make and share this Cream of Shrimp Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium carrots, minced
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1 small baking potato, peeled and minced
- 2 lbs small shrimp, peeled and deviened-reserve shells
- 2 cups fish stock or 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups light cream
- 1⁄2 tablespoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- white pepper
- parsley (to garnish)
- In a large saucepan melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the carrots, onion, celery, potato and shrimp shells.
- Saute until the onion is translucent and the shells turn pink, around 3 minutes.
- Add the stock, cream, thyme, bay and all but 25 shrimp.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- In small batches puree the soup in a food mill or food processor.
- Force puree through a strainer.
- Return the soup to the pan and season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Add the remaining shrimp to the pot and cook to heat through, about 3 minutes.
- Ladle into 6 bowls with 5 shrimp in each.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.