1 hr 10 mins
This is a delicious soup that can be served as a first course, main dish or even lunch. Even though it has a some cream, it only averages out to 2 T per person. So, it isn't that rich! Other shellfish could be easily substituted.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb medium raw shrimp, peeled,deveined,shells reserved
- 4 cups fish stock or 4 cups bottled clam juice
- 1 cup dry white vermouth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 carrot, scraped and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1Heat 1 T olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan.
- 2Add reserved shrimp shells and saute'stirring for 5 minutes.
- 3Add stock, vermouth, and bay leaf.
- 4Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes.
- 5Strain stock into a bowl.
- 6Heat remaining T olive oil in the same saucepan over medium heat.
- 7Add onion, carrot, and garlic, saute' 5 minutes.
- 8Add tomatoe paste and cayenne, blending well.
- 9Add tomatoes with juices and shrimp stock.
- 10Simmer 5 minutes.
- 11Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat and add shrimp.
- 12Saute 2 minutes.
- 13Remove from heat.
- 14Add brandy and carefully ignite.
- 15After the flames subside, return pan to heat and saute shrimp 2 more minutes, or until cooked through.
- 16Place 6 shrimp in a bowl and set aside.
- 17Mix remaining shrimp into soup.
- 18Add cream to skillet, bring to boil and add to soup.
- 19In a food processor or blender, puree soup in batches.
- 20Strain through a coarse sieve, set over a large saucepan, pushing through most of the solids with a wooden spoon.
- 21Bring to a simmer.
- 22Season to taste.
- 23Ladle into bowls, topping each bowl with 1 reserved shrimp.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream of Shrimp Soup
Serving Size: 1 (513 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 324.5
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 162.4 mg
- Sodium 599.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 20.7 g