Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a delicious soup that can be served as a first course, main dish or even lunch. Even though it has a some cream, it only averages out to 2 T per person. So, it isn't that rich! Other shellfish could be easily substituted.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb medium raw shrimp, peeled,deveined,shells reserved
- 4 cups fish stock or 4 cups bottled clam juice
- 1 cup dry white vermouth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 carrot, scraped and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- Heat 1 T olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan.
- Add reserved shrimp shells and saute'stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add stock, vermouth, and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes.
- Strain stock into a bowl.
- Heat remaining T olive oil in the same saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot, and garlic, saute' 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoe paste and cayenne, blending well.
- Add tomatoes with juices and shrimp stock.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat and add shrimp.
- Saute 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add brandy and carefully ignite.
- After the flames subside, return pan to heat and saute shrimp 2 more minutes, or until cooked through.
- Place 6 shrimp in a bowl and set aside.
- Mix remaining shrimp into soup.
- Add cream to skillet, bring to boil and add to soup.
- In a food processor or blender, puree soup in batches.
- Strain through a coarse sieve, set over a large saucepan, pushing through most of the solids with a wooden spoon.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Season to taste.
- Ladle into bowls, topping each bowl with 1 reserved shrimp.