This is a good. I like to roast a few batches of tomatoes and freeze them for use during the winter months. This soup is usually the first thing I make with the last tomatoes and fresh herbs of the season. You can use dried herbs. I like roma tomatoes the best for this. I usually don't add the cheese to the soup but pass it at the table.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs tomatoes, halved
- olive oil, to drizzle
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- herbs, such as oregano and basil
- sugar, for sprinkling
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry red wine (I've also used white)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- 1Roast tomatoes in a 400°F oven cut side up, sprinkled with garlic, herbs and a dusting of sugar and drizzle over a little olive oil. They are done when they shrivel and start to brown around the edges.
- 2Scrape into a food processor and process until smooth-ish (I like it a bit chunky so I usually only pulse a few times, but you may like it more smooth).
- 3In a saucepan cook onion in oil until translucent. Pour in tomato puree, broth, wine, and tomato paste.
- 4Whisk together and bring to boil.
- 5Heat cream gently in a small saucepan.
- 6Lower heat on soup and whisk in cream and cheese if using.
- 7Simmer gently until smooth and at the desired temperature.
- 8Serve with grated cheese if desired.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream of Roasted Tomato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 162.7
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 40.7 mg
- Sodium 317.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 3.5 g