Here's another recipe that I've been making for many moons. I especially love making it when tomatoes are at their best. I've made it at other times of the year and it is still good, just make sure your tomatoes are ripe enough. This bisque is really a treat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs plum tomatoes, ripened
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped onion
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- sugar, if needed
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- salt and pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- 2Halve tomatoes lengthwise and lay them cut sides down in a jelly-roll pan.
- 3Brush generously with 3 tablespoons oil and sprinkle oregano, basil, and pepper.
- 4Roast tomatoes for 10 minutes. Sprinkle minced garlic over tops and continue roasting for an additional 5 to 12 minutes until tomato edges are charred, looking cooked and releasing their juices. Be careful not to over-roast so garlic won't burn. Scrape tomatoes, oil, and herbs from pan into food processor.
- 5Process until not quite smooth (leaving small chunks and charred black specks).
- 6In a saucepan cook onion in remaining 2 tablespoons oil until translucent. Whisk in roasted tomato puree, broth, and wine. Then whisk tomato paste.
- 7Heat the cream and whisk into the tomato mixture.
- 8Taste and add sugar if necessary (the sugar helps cut the acidity of the tomatoes if they happen to be acidic).
- 9Stir in Parmesan. Add salt and pepper to taste and bring soup to a simmer.
- 10NOTE: The type of tomatoes used in this recipe is important. The best are when in season, however store bought vine ripened is also a good selection. The large hard tomatoes found in Supermarkets usually have no taste and will yield an unsatisfactory result. Make sure they are nicely ripened.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for CREAM OF ROASTED TOMATO BISQUE
Serving Size: 1 (250 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 215.4
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 11.3 mg
- Sodium 375.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 6.1 g