Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a tasty soup that fills the kitchen with a wonderful aroma while it is cooking. I use an immersion blender rather than blending the vegetables in a blender and like to leave some chunks in this. From Bon Appetit.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup shallot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 3 cups canned vegetable broth (or more)
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- fresh basil, sliced
- Char peppers over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides.
- Enclose in paper bag and let stand 10 minutes.
- Peel, seed and slice peppers.
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add shallots, garlic and thyme and sauté 3 minutes.
- Add 3 cups broth and all but 4 slices of roasted pepper.
- Simmer uncovered until peppers are very soft, about 20 minutes.
- Working in batches, purée soup in blender until smooth.
- Return to same pot.
- Add half and half, vinegar and cayenne pepper.
- Rewarm soup, thinning with additional broth, if desired.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Garnish with reserved pepper strips and basil.