Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my favorite soup! It's warm and comforting on a chilly Fall evening. I adapted it from a recipe I found on another website years ago. Unlike the original recipe, it's made with milk or soy milk instead of heavy cream, so it's healthy and can be dairy-free!
- Saute onion in margarine in a medium saucepan until tender.
- Add 1 can chicken broth; stir well.
- Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Transfer broth mixture into the container of a blender or processor.
- Process until smooth.
- Return mixture to saucepan.
- Add remaining can of broth, pumpkin, salt, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, and ground pepper; stir well.
- Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in milk or soy milk and heat through.
- Do not boil.
- Ladle into individual soup bowls.
I just love pumpkin soup - any time of year. You know sometimes even in hot months you need a nice bowl of comfort. I made this on one of the cooler days we had this summer (in the high 70's) but it was raining and thundering like the end of the world. The scent of pumpkin, ginger and cinnamon soothed my frazzled nerves (from the thunder and lightning) as if it were aromatherapy. I finished making this as the worst of the storm passed and it was just raining. I curled up on the sun porch and just watched the rain and enjoyed this wonderful soup. It didn't matter that it was summer, you can make this on a rainy, stormy day too.
I love cream soups. This one is my favorite!
This was the perfect start to our Thanksgiving dinner! I made as directed except I added 1 cup applesauce and 2 Tblsp. brown sugar, and I subbed 1 cup of half and half for the milk. Before serving, I added a dollup of sour cream to each bowl. Delicious! Thanks Kree, everyone raved about it.