Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Serve with pumpkin seed breadsticks.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups light cream
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- cracked black pepper
- In a large saucepan melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in crushed red pepper; cook for 1 minute. Add broth; bring to boiling. Stir in orzo or rice. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 10 minutes for orzo or 40 minutes for wild rice or until orzo or rice is tender.
- In a screw-top jar combine half-and-half and flour. Cover; shake well to combine. Stir into orzo mixture; cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Stir in pumpkin; heat through. Transfer to an insulated container. Sprinkle each serving with cracked black pepper.