1/3 Photos of Cream of Potato Soup
1 hr 30 mins
I have tried a lot of Potato Soup recipes and this is my combination of what I consider the best of the best. I took this to work and everyone just loved it. Hope you will too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 (14 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 8 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1/2 lb smoked ham, chopped ((if you meat has a casing or tough edge, remove))
- 3 ounces Canadian bacon, chopped ((if your meat has a casing or tough edge, remove))
- 1 quart heavy cream ((you can also use half and half or milk))
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4-1/2 cup cornstarch
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese (can use up to 12 ounces)
- 1In a large kettle, combine chicken broth and cubed potatoes and bring to a boil.
- 2In a sauce pan melt butter and add onion, celery and carrots and saute until tender, about 10-15 minutes depending on how fine you chopped your veggies.
- 3When the potatoes are done add the ham, canadian bacon, celery, carrot and onion mixture with butter to the broth.
- 4Reduce heat to medium and when the soup is NOT boiling.
- 5Slowly add the Heavy Cream (you do not have to use the entire quart) just enough to made it creamy.
- 6Add cheese and stir until melted.
- 7Remove about half of the soup mixture and place in blender.
- 8Blend until smooth then return to soup to thicken.
- 9If it isn't thick enough, mix corn starch with cold water and add to soup.
- 10Simmer on medium heat for about an hour or until it thickens stirring occasionally.
- 11Serve with crispy sour dough bread or Aroostook's Refrigerator Rolls and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream of Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (470 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 707.2
- Calories from Fat 468
- Total Fat 52.0 g
- Saturated Fat 31.1 g
- Cholesterol 186.7 mg
- Sodium 824.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 22.5 g