Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A wonderful cream soup that highlight that unique portabella flavor. I found this on the usenet cooking groups and wanted to share it with the Recipezaar folks.
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (6 ounce) packagephillips portabella mushroom caps, stems or slices cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons marsala or 2 tablespoons sweet sherry
- 2 ounces Roquefort cheese (optional) or 2 ounces blue cheese (optional)
- Heat 3 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour and stir constantly until a paste (roux) forms.
- Continue to stir and cook for another minute, until the flour is cooked.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat Add the onion and sauté until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water to the pan and the add the mushrooms.
- Salt lightly, reduce heat, and cover.
- Let the pan sit over the heat for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add the milk, cream, pepper and thyme.
- Increase the heat and bring almost to a boil- when bubbles form around the edge of pan Stirring, add all the butter-flour mixture to the milk.
- Add the marsala or sherry and stir with a whisk over medium heat until the soup thickens, 3-4 minutes Adjust for salt.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle a little of the cheese over the top if desired Serve immediately.