1/1 Photo of Cream of Poblano Soup
Leslie in Texas's Note:
Poblano peppers are a mild Mexican pepper and this soup showcases them beautifully! This is a delicious, rich soup that will transport you to old Mexico! Originally published in a 1995 newspaper food section, from Cavanaugh's Restaurant in Webster, Texas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 (6 inch) corn tortillas, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1/2 cup finely diced poblano pepper, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 ounces cooked chicken, chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1Cut three tortillas into ninths; place in food processor and chop until fine.
- 2Add flour,chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper; blend to the consistency of cornmeal.
- 3Place oil in stockpot over medium high heat; add onion, 1/2 cup poblano pepper, and garlic and sauté until the onion is transparent.
- 4Add butter and let it melt.
- 5Add tortilla-flour mixture to the pan and mix to form a roux.
- 6Cook 4-5 minutes stirring constantly with a whisk- do not let mixture burn.
- 7While stirring, slowly add broth, scraping down sides and bottom often.
- 8Add half and half, bring to a slow simmer and cook 7-10 minutes.
- 9Do not let soup come to a hard boil.
- 10Turn off heat and let cool a bit.
- 11Add chicken before serving.
- 12Top each serving with shredded cheese, diced poblano pepper and tortillas strips.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream of Poblano Soup
Serving Size: 1 (149 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 160.8
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 24.8 mg
- Sodium 507.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 6.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: