Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A little bit spicy, creamy and green. This recipe was originally a modification of the Leek and Potato Soup recipe presented on Good Eats.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs poblano peppers (5-6 large poblanos)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup buttermilk
- salt and pepper
- Chop the onion and poblanos into small pieces.
- In a 6-quart saucepan over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onions and poblanos and a heavy pinch of salt and sweat for 10 minutes. Add the potatoes and the vegetable broth, increase the heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the potatoes are soft, approximately 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and puree the mixture with an immersion blender until smooth. Stir in the half-and-half, buttermilk, salt and pepper.