Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
If you like pimientos, this is a rich, delicious, elegant soup, great for a first course. I got it many years ago from a Southern Living Magazine.
- 1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimentos (do not drain)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth (or homemade)
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons grated onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Place the pimientos, with the juice, in the container of an electric blender.
- Process until smooth, stopping once to scrape down the sides.
- Set the pimiento mixture aside.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat.
- Add flour& stir until mixture is smooth.
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken broth& half and half gradually to flour mixture, and continue cooking over medium heat, stirring constantly, until broth mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in the reserved pimiento puree, onion, salt& hot sauce.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thoroughly heated.
- Sprinkle each serving in the middle with about 1/2 tsp.
- fresh chopped parsley.
- Makes 3 3/4 cups, enough to serve 4.