Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I did this recipe when I was living with my parents a few years ago.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 red bell pepper, in strips
- 1 green bell pepper, in strips
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 10 ounces cream of tomato soup
- salt and pepper
- In a casserole, melt 2 teaspoons of butter.
- Brown the peppers 5 minutes.
- Pour 1 cup of chicken stock.
- Let boil 4 minutes.
- Mix in a blender and set aside.
- In a casserole, melt the remaining butter.
- Add the flour and stir.
- Add the mixture of peppers and the remaining chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil by stirring continuously.
- Add the cream of tomatoes.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper.
- And it's ready to serve!
Wonderfully quick to prepare and extremely tasty. But I did make a few changes: just cannot resist doing so with versatile recipes such as soups. Like KITTENCAL I always add onions and garlic in recipes such as this if they are not among the listed ingredients, so I added 1 chopped leek, 1 chopped onion (I love the subtle difference in flavours between the two) 3 cloves of garlic and probably about a teaspoon of a rosemary and sage blend in step two. I used only 31/2 cups of chicken broth so that I could add 1/2 cup of white wine. But otherwise followed the very clear instructions exactly. I'll happily make this again, Boomette. Thanks for sharing.
Wonderful soup! Made as directed. Thanks, Boomette! Made for 123 Hit Wonders Tag.
I love cream soups and this is just another example of a simple, but great cream soup. Just perfect for those cool days headed this way. Thanks for the great recipe.