Recipe by yooper
When you're feeling blue or out of sorts, a nice bowl of soup may be just what you need. This recipe fits the bill!
Top Review by Jill77
I can't believe I'm the first to try this. It is definitley a great comfort food. You could probably add even more potato if you want a heavier consistency, but this is very nice. Served with a salad and some fresh foccacia - delish! The only thing I did different is use a splash of Merlot in place of the sherry. Worked just fine. Thanks Mark!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 cups sliced onions (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, halved
- 5 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 7 -8 ounces russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- minced fresh chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat.
- Add 9onions and saute until very tender and pale golden, about 25 minutes.
- Add garlic, and stir 1 minute.
- Add broth and potato and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer until potato is very tender, about 25 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender.
- Return to pot.
- Stir in cream, sherry and thyme.
- Simmer about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with chives.