Cook1 hr 30 mins
When you're feeling blue or out of sorts, a nice bowl of soup may be just what you need. This recipe fits the bill!
- Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat.
- Add 9onions and saute until very tender and pale golden, about 25 minutes.
- Add garlic, and stir 1 minute.
- Add broth and potato and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer until potato is very tender, about 25 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender.
- Return to pot.
- Stir in cream, sherry and thyme.
- Simmer about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with chives.
I can't believe I'm the first to try this. It is definitley a great comfort food. You could probably add even more potato if you want a heavier consistency, but this is very nice. Served with a salad and some fresh foccacia - delish! The only thing I did different is use a splash of Merlot in place of the sherry. Worked just fine. Thanks Mark!
Excellent soup! I doubled the potatoes and used 1 cup half & half instead of half cup whipping cream. I also used white pepper, though I'm sure black pepper would do just fine. I didn't have any sherry on hand, either.
I enjoyed this very much. I scaled the recipe, but didn't want leftover potato, so used more potato than called for. Being an impatient person, the 25 minute saute time seemed rather long, but I managed for at least 20 minutes over very low heat, and that seemed to be okay. I had lovely thyme from a friend's garden, but used a little whole milk rather than cream this time. I'm sure it would have been even better with the cream, but was still delicious with milk. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us.