Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This soup is a great first course to a steak dinner! Not to shabby with hot bread sticks, salad and wine either!
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 cups diced white onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped leeks, white part only
- 1 cup diced shallot
- 2 carrots, diced
- 4 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced tarragon
- 3 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 5 cups whole milk
- 3⁄4 cup port wine
- 1⁄2 lb blue cheese, crumbled-about 2 cups
- 6 tablespoons minced chives
- In a large saucepan melt the butter over low heat.
- Add the onions, leeks, shallots, carrots, parsley and tarragon.
- Cover and cool on low, stirring occasionally, until onions and carrots are tender, around 20 minutes.
- Pour into a food processor bowl and puree to smooth.
- Return to pan.
- Sprinkle puree with flour and stir over low heat for about 3 minutes.
- Slowly add milk, whisking constantly until mixture is hot and thickened.
- Add port and stir until heated through.
- Add cheese and stir over mediun-low heat until melted and evenly blended.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground white pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with chives.