Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I often make this for my husband, who loves his hot cereal in the morning! One morning I was out of cream of wheat cereal, so came up with this! I hope you enjoy it! This is also good added to cream of wheat. You may also add chopped or sliced fruit(banana, peaches, apples, etc.), dried fruit(raisins, craisins, figs, dates, etc.) or other spices(nutmeg, cardamom, mace, etc.). I add a teaspoonful of ground flaxseed to mine sometimes.
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal (quick will work, but is not as flavorful) or 1 cup quick oatmeal (quick will work, but is not as flavorful)
- 2 cups water (may need a little more)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄8 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄8 cup wheat bran
- 1 pinch salt
- butter (optional)
- brown sugar or white sugar
- cinnamon (optional)
- milk (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground flax seed (optional)
- Place oatmeal in the food processor.
- Process until finely shredded.
- Place in a small saucepan along with the wheat germ, wheat bran, salt, water and milk.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer till liquid is almost all absorbed, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir often so it won't stick to the bottom.
- Pour into a bowl and place a little pat of butter on top, if desired.
- Pour a little milk on(depending how moist you like it), then brown sugar to taste.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon, stir it all up and serve!
- Add whatever optional ingredients you like. :).
I used old fashioned oats for this recipe and I added peaches, walnuts and vanilla ensure. Made this in memory of your DH for my DM. She is a very picky eater and very difficult to feed these days, but, she enjoyed this. She could not finish it all but asked me to tell you that she loved it. Thanks for sharing this recipe :)
Very nice way to make oatmeal! I love cream of wheat and Malt-o-Meal so I wanted to try this version of oatmeal and I did enjoy it. You really do have to keep stirring to make sure it doesn't stick. Served with brown sugar and a little more milk - smooth and creamy - thanks for sharing the recipe!
This was just delicious and seriously comforting. A definite winner for this oatmeal lover. I used 1/2 cup of vanilla soymilk which added a nice flavor along with some cinnamon and Splenda. Topped it off with a sliced banana and I'm a happy lass. Thanks Sharon.