Recipe by Crafty Lady 13
Just like Julia...if you liked the movie, you'll love the recipes. Weight Watchers has updated the beloved chef's timeless classics, keeping the French flavor, but trimming the fat. The original: 7 Points values - WW remake: 2 Points values. So why not serve a few of your favorites when you host a Julia-inspired Oscar fete this year? Bon appetit!
Top Review by Sky Hostess
We had just gotten the Jan/Feb'10 issue and I saw this recipe in there! I had to try it. It came out very good. I used EVOO instead of butter. I also used only about 3/4 lb of portobello - I just didn't want to buy another package and have too much. The package I bought was 2 large caps. I did use 1 lb of the button mushrooms. I used 3 cans of low sodium chicken broth and 1 can (12 oz) of evaporated skim milk. I didn't have fresh herbs so I used 1 tsp dry sage and 1 tsp dry thyme. We think it turned out pretty good. I also used my hand blender instead of a processor or blender.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 lb portobello mushroom cap, sliced
- 1 lb white mushroom, sliced
- 1 (48 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a nonstick Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and carrot; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. (Optional: Reserve enough of the slices of sliced white mushrooms to place a couples slices on top of each soup serving.) Stir in broth, salt and pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove Dutch oven from heat. Uncover and let cool 30 minutes.
- Puree soup in batches in food processor or blender. Return soup to Dutch oven; stir in half-and-half, sage and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until heated through, about 10 minutes. Optional: Top each bowl of soup with a couple slices of sauteed mushrooms.