Recipe by CountryLady
This is one of our favourites on a cold winter night!!
Top Review by No Stress Chef
This is unbelievably delicious, and in my version, I lowered the fat significantly. I replaced the margarine with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons of Brummel and Brown. Then, instead of the milk and cream I used 2 cups of nonfat milk mixed with 2/3 cup of nonfat instant powdered milk.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 6 tablespoons margarine
- 3 cups button mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch ground mace
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 -2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2⁄3 cup cream
- French fried onion rings (garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry onions& garlic in margarine in a heavy pot until soft.
- Roughly chop about 3/4's of the mushrooms, add to the pot& fry until soft.
- Stir in the flour until well mixed, gradually add stock& bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, add seasonings& mace and simmer for 15- 20 minutes.
- Liquidize the soup in a blender& return to the pot.
- Finely chop remaining mushrooms& add to the soup along with the milk.
- Bring back to the boil, reduce heat& simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice& cream and reheat.
- DO NOT BOIL.
- Ladle into bowls& garnish with onion rings, if desired.