Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is one of our favourites on a cold winter night!!
Make and share this Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 6 tablespoons margarine
- 3 cups button mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch ground mace
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 -2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2⁄3 cup cream
- French fried onion rings (garnish) (optional)
- Fry onions& garlic in margarine in a heavy pot until soft.
- Roughly chop about 3/4's of the mushrooms, add to the pot& fry until soft.
- Stir in the flour until well mixed, gradually add stock& bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, add seasonings& mace and simmer for 15- 20 minutes.
- Liquidize the soup in a blender& return to the pot.
- Finely chop remaining mushrooms& add to the soup along with the milk.
- Bring back to the boil, reduce heat& simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice& cream and reheat.
- DO NOT BOIL.
- Ladle into bowls& garnish with onion rings, if desired.
This is unbelievably delicious, and in my version, I lowered the fat significantly. I replaced the margarine with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons of Brummel and Brown. Then, instead of the milk and cream I used 2 cups of nonfat milk mixed with 2/3 cup of nonfat instant powdered milk.
Heart Warming! I used a mixture of mushrooms dried as well fresh. The hand blender works great in this.I used ground fresh nutmeg instead of mace. And swirled some sherry into each bowl. Thanks for posting this yummy soup recipe.
I made this to substitute for cans of cream of mushroom soup used in chicken noodle casserole. I did add all the mushrooms at once and pureed them all so my kids wouldn't know and complain. They loved the dish and the "sauce" that was on the noodles. I ate some of the soup for dinner the next night and it was tasty by itself. I left out the mace since I didn't have any.