Recipe by basia1
When I was vegan, I missed good cream soups. This one has an excellent, unique flavor. It isn't low fat though, sorry.
Top Review by Missy Wombat
WOW! This is a 6 star soup! Anything that has mushrooms and cashews can hardly not taste good but this soup is wonderful. The cashews puree really easily in the blender so don't let the the nut preparation put you off making this. My toddler went crazy over this soup. This is the first soup she has ever wanted to try and once she had the first taste I couldn't stop her :-D! She ate an adult sized portion, I ate the rest. A friend of mine noted that this is Atkins suitable. It is...but the only problem is that you would never stop at one serving. I've been recommending this soup to all my friends. Great recipe Basia!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs thinly sliced mushrooms (a mixture of varieties is nice)
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lb dry-roasted cashews, coarsely chopped
- 5 cups water
- 2 -3 vegetable bouillon cubes, dissolved
- 1⁄4 cup minced parsley
- 1 pinch chili powder
- nutmeg (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 4 quart pot, sauté the mushrooms in butter till tender.
- Add garlic.
- Sauté on low heat 5 minutes.
- In a blender, purée the cashews with the water until very smooth.
- Add to the mushrooms.
- Add the bouillon and cook on low heat, stirring frequently, until the soup begins to thicken.
- Add parsley and nutmeg.