Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A lighter version of this French classic.
Make and share this Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, stems removed and chopped tops sliced
- 1⁄2 ounce dried wild mushrooms (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup white wine or 1⁄2 cup beer
- 4 cups chicken broth (if you use bouillon use less salt)
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan, over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of the butter, mushroom stems, the onions, carrots, thyme, and bay leaf; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the mushroom tops and saute 5 minutes.
- Stir in wine or beer and stir until nearly evaporated.
- Add in chicken broth, soaked chanterelles with their liquid, and cook about 10 minutes; taste broth and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in remaining butter and cream and heat through, but do not allow to boil.
- If desired, you can thicken the broth with cornstarch mixed with a little water or cream; combine well then stir into soup.
Made for PRMR! Nothing beats homemade. This was quite flavorful! I can't believe it was this easy! Thanks for the recipe. Next time I will be using this soup in my casserole!