Recipe by Cadillacgirl
Friends were requesting cream of mushroom, so bought me a big brown bag-ful of them and this is what I came up with - it's very popular! Great with fresh bread and butter...
Top Review by Alphacook
Fantastic, flavorful soup!!! Wasn't sure if the herbs called for were dried or fresh so I used what I had, fresh. Also I sauted the onions and mushrooms in butter first then added the olive oil later since the oil has a tendency to burn. Because of my picky family I pureed the mixture just before I added the cream. Thanks for the awesome recipe Cadillacgirl
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream (I use 18% or whipping)
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot and saute the mushrooms and onions until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms cooked down a little, then add the thyme, rosemary, and garlic.
- Saute another few minutes until the mushrooms are cooked down and the onions are starting to carmelize.
- Add butter to melt and then whisk in the flour, allowing the flour to cook out for a minute or two. Then slowly whisk in the chicken broth until it is all incorporated, then add the cream, and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a simmer, allowing it to thicken and then serve!