1/2 Photos of Cream of Mushroom Soup
When the weather turns a little chilly, it is time for soup. I had this creamy soup on a Royal Caribbean Cruise so I bought their Royal Caribbean International Cookbook so I could have it again and again. I subsititue chicken stock for the dry white wine when I make it. Also, please feel free to use any type of mushrooms you choose.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3/4 lb fresh white mushroom, wiped clean and left whole
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt (to taste)
- pepper, freshly ground to taste
- 1/2 lb fresh white mushroom, wiped clean and sliced
- 1/2 bunch chives, chopped
- herbed croutons (to garnish)
- 1In a medium saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened. Add the whole mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the white wine and simmer until the liquid is reduced by half.
- 2Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer the contents of the pan to a blender and puree until smooth. Return the soup to the pan and bring it to a simmer.
- 3In a small bowl, mash 1 tablespoon butter with the flour. Whisk the flour paste into the simmering soup in increments, until the soup thickens slightly. Continue to simmer the soup, stirring, until no flour taste remains, about 10 minutes. Stir in the cream and return to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- 4In a medium saute pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook, stirring, until lightly softened, about 5 to 7 minutes. To serve, divide the soup among warmed soup bowls. Garnish with the sliced mushrooms, chopped chives and croutons. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream of Mushroom Soup
Serving Size: 1 (384 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 444.8
- Calories from Fat 345
- Total Fat 38.3 g
- Saturated Fat 23.2 g
- Cholesterol 123.2 mg
- Sodium 205.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 9.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: