Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
When the weather turns a little chilly, it is time for soup. I had this creamy soup on a Royal Caribbean Cruise so I bought their Royal Caribbean International Cookbook so I could have it again and again. I subsititue chicken stock for the dry white wine when I make it. Also, please feel free to use any type of mushrooms you choose.
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 lb fresh white mushroom, wiped clean and left whole
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt (to taste)
- pepper, freshly ground to taste
- 1⁄2 lb fresh white mushroom, wiped clean and sliced
- 1⁄2 bunch chives, chopped
- herbed croutons (to garnish)
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened. Add the whole mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the white wine and simmer until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer the contents of the pan to a blender and puree until smooth. Return the soup to the pan and bring it to a simmer.
- In a small bowl, mash 1 tablespoon butter with the flour. Whisk the flour paste into the simmering soup in increments, until the soup thickens slightly. Continue to simmer the soup, stirring, until no flour taste remains, about 10 minutes. Stir in the cream and return to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- In a medium saute pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook, stirring, until lightly softened, about 5 to 7 minutes. To serve, divide the soup among warmed soup bowls. Garnish with the sliced mushrooms, chopped chives and croutons. Serve immediately.
LOVED this soup- made for dinner last nt, but had to do some substitutions after I found out I didnt have any chicken broth- I did have one can of beef broth, and some chicken bouillon so I made due- Also. I got ahead of myself and DID NOT put all this in a blender- was fine with the pcs of mushrooms- No croutons on top for us- BUT still delicious- wanted to take some for my lunch today, but my husband finished it off!!!
Unfortunatly, I was unable to share this soup with anyone because I ATE IT ALL!! This was my breakfast , Lunch, and dinner. I used green onions instead of chives and made my own croutons. YUM. Opening a bottle of white to cook with was also a perk:)I will be making this again. I made this for My-3-Chefs November 2009. Thanks for sharing CarlAT!!